Parasites

Horses, like any other animals who spend a lot of time outdoors, are often exposed to parasites. A wide range of parasitic organisms can afflict your horse, including ticks, lice, pinworms, tapeworms, roundworms, and lungworms. It is virtually impossible to remove all parasites from your horse; rather, you should seek to reduce his parasite load as much as possible.

Internal Parasites
Internal parasites (“endoparasites” to veterinarians) include a variety of worms that usually reside in the guts, although some may live in the lungs, liver, or other organs. Most of these parasites can be controlled through regular deworming as recommended by your equine vet. Additionally, reduce your horse’s exposure to possible sources of these pests by removing manure from paddocks and stalls frequently and by rotating and resting your pasture regularly.

External Parasites
External parasites (“exoparasites”) are bugs, worms, and other organisms that attach to your horse’s skin and feed on his blood. Ticks, lice, and pinworms are the most common types. If your horse is constantly rubbing his skin on objects (like he’s scratching an itch) and possibly losing hair, he likely has one of these bloodsuckers. Examine his mane and tail carefully for ticks, comb them out, and give your horse a thorough bath. Make sure that your regular deworming routine provides protection against pinworms. If you suspect lice, consult your veterinarian for proper treatment.

EF’s experience with restored thoroughbred spring of 2012.   Horse was off of a West Virginia track. After a 1000 mile trip here to Minnesota, the horse was just plain wore out. Thin, poor hair coat, and report was ringbone in left hock and sore in the front. A track discard if you will.

After 2 weeks on 50/50 and grain and good alfalfa hay the owner was contacted with the report that the horse stopped cribbing and showed no signs of lameness asking if they wanted to try to race him again?They did, so after approximately 10 weeks. The vet cleared him healthy to race and his manure tested negative for worms. The vet was asked how often that happens? Never was the answer. It appears that the copper and zinc in 50/50 has the potential to break the worm cycle. EF’s horses haven’t been wormed as long as 10 years. No official tests have been done to determine how much and for how long and how thorough the product affects the worm cycle using different horses as tests.